Tuesday 16 April 2013

Just What I Didn't Need....Another Obsession.

At this very moment, I have an essay and a piece of coursework that are screaming at me to be written. One is due tomorrow and the other is needed to be handed in tomorrow for review. So what do I do? Neither. 
Time to update my beloved blog. 
I noticed that I've gone from several updates per month to one or two and that makes me sad. I don't want it to get neglected so I am going to try and update more regularly! I promise! 

Months and months ago, my darling sister told me that there is a show that I should really watch. Apparently it was really funny and glittery and amazing and "it has the woman from Will and Grace in". Now, I love Will&Grace and Karen was a bit of an idol of mine when I was younger - who doesn't love that drunk, pill-popping bitch? - but it turns out that she didn't mean Karen, she meant Grace. And that show was called SMASH. 

SMASH is now my life. 

As is Debra Messing. 

SMASH isn't very popular in the UK and I'm not sure if it's even shown here because I have been watching it online, but the very brief idea of it is an ensemble of people are trying to put together a broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe. And it is incredible. We're introduced to the producer, director, lyricist, composer, dancers and the two girls that are battling it out to get the main role of Marilyn. The show has a bit of Glee about it in the way it has full musical numbers, but they're (mainly) from the musical and so I think blend into the show in a far more natural way than the songs from Glee do. Plus they're all original songs that are written by a team that have worked on musicals such as Chicago. It's all pretty top notch stuff. 

So far there have been two series of SMASH and it's looking like there won't be a third which is such a shame, but there will never be a time that the soundtrack from the show won't be on my Ipod from now on. I love musicals and broadway and the soundtrack is perfect. The two ladies that are competing to be Marilyn (Katherine McFee as Karen Cartwright and Megan Hilty as Ivy Lynn) are both amazing singers in completely different ways. Katherine - who made her name on American Idol - is a kind of homely singer with a beautiful voice, suiting the more poppy side of the show whereas Megan can pull of the big broadway numbers and ballads like no other. She's done a stint in Wicked on the real broadway so, you know. Girl's got pipes. The songs are pretty fun and the production of them all are often big and bold, including sequences that, when in rehershals, give the viewer an idea of the production on stage which is a lovely touch. 

One of my favourite songs from the series with Megan and Katherine both singing. I adore it! 

So anyway. Debra Messing is in this show and because of it, I have added her to my list of obsessions. Yup. Very much so. Her tag is now tracked on Tumblr. That's the sign. 

I absolutely adore Debra in Will&Grace and have seen her in a couple of other bits and bobs including a film called The Wedding Date which I absolutely loved and a series called The Starter Wife which again, although a little cheesy and strange at times, was brilliant. 


Also, can we just take a moment to marvel at that hair?! 

Errr Helloo? Why can't I have a hairdresser on hand that makes my hair look like that 24/7?? 
Oh yeah. Because I'm not loaded. 
God damn you, Life. Such a bitch. 

M x 


1 comment: