Thursday 29 November 2012

How Anonymity is Changing the face of Bullies

Something I heard on the radio recently has really got me thinking. It lead to one of my train of thoughts that isn't really a simple one way track, more the pieces of train track that kids have that they can put together to push their toy trains along - that's quite a good analogy for how I think actually. Far better than simply saying 'all over the place'. But I digress. This report was yet another report on cyberbullying and at first I ignore it because, although a big problem, there's nothing that I can really do about it. Bullying is something that I feel is never really going to be stopped. It's horrific and we've all heard reports where children and teens have taken their own lives after being bullied, but unless you know someone who is being bullied / bullying, what can you really do to help? My view is that no amount of campaigning will stop playground bullies doing what they do best - they're always going to be around. I wish there was a way to banish them for all eternity, but I don't think we will. 

But anyway, so this report was going on about cyberbullying which got me thinking about how incredible the internet is. Yes, it has changed the way that the entire world works, but it has also allowed your typical playground bully to evolve and become a full time, vicious terror. 

Back in yee olden day before the days of the tinterweb, a child that was being bullied would be able to go home and hide. When the school bell rang, their day of hell would (generally) be over. But now that isn't so. Let's face it, everyone has a mobile and FaceBook and/or Twitter these days. Or Tumblr. Or Myspace. Or Pinterest. The list goes on.... 

And now, we connect it to my post title. You used to know who it was that was bullying you. There were ways of avoiding them - not all the time but occasionally. Nowadays there is no hiding because if they have your number, you're harassed. If they find you on a social networking site, you're harassed.
 Nowadays, you can be bullied by someone that you've never even met. 

Someone in America could, for instance, chance upon my blog and dislike it or disagree with my views or opinions. They could take an instant dislike to me although they have never met me and don't know anything about me except snippets of my life that are found on the internet. They could then comment on this post with anything they liked, making it as hurtful as possible. My other account names are shared on my blog, so they could then continue this attack on my Tumblr inbox behind a grey face that I would never be able to trace. I would never know who they are. I'd never meet them. They'd never meet me. But they'd be able to plague me. I find this quite a scary thing. 

Personally, I'm not sure how I would feel if this were happen to me. I suppose I was lucky in the way that I was never severely bullied and so never had to cope with what some kids and teens do today. But if, for example, someone were to take it upon themselves to abuse me on my Tumblr page, I don't know what I would do. Sure, you can stop Anon hate by turning off the option to have anonymous messages, but I find anon messages half the fun! So it doesn't happen that often, but a little grey face saying they love your blog or asking a question can really make you smile, so why should I have to turn off anon because of one low life? I shouldn't. I'm trying not to make this sound like I feel 'ohhh this didn't happen in my day' because I'm only 18 and sure, people were cyberbullied in 'my day' but it wasn't such an easy thing as it is today. But the fact is, I feel sorry for the "children" of today because it's hard enough growing up, let alone having someone able to harass and put you down no matter where you go. 

Bullying isn't personal any more. A person can be any one they like as long as they are careful to not reveal who they really are. 

This is the end of my ill-organised, nonsensical post. You probably feel as if you've wasted a minute or two reading it. I apologise. 

M x 

Ps. I passed my driving theory test today!! I failed it by one mark on the hazard perception section last time and passed by one mark this time. 
Good enough for me, Larry!

1 comment:

  1. I think the effect of anonymity is less than that caused by the range of communications, it's not just that you can't run away, it's the fact that the bullies are in the place you'd want to run away to.

    ReplyDelete