Thursday 10 January 2013

Three Songs That I Simply Adore

Music is something that really gets me through the day. I know I'm not alone in this and I know so many people that feel the same way about it; we listen when we're down, happy, worried, nervous etc etc etc and we connect memories with songs to the point where a song can change your mood completely simply because of the memory associated with it. So I wanted to give you readers (hello... are you out there? Echo echooo.. echoooo.... echoooooo....) a little list of my five three favourite songs at the moment (this was going to be five but it took so long!! I'll maybe continue this at another time). As I've already discussed in another post, Starman by David Bowie is way up there and would be one of my five if I hadn't blogged about it already so I'm cheating a little but hey who; my blog my rules. 
Side Note: I am so excited that Bowie has a new album out soon! Having an artist that hasn't released anything for 10 years and suddenly releases a song with absolutely no publicity and said song rocket straight to number one really is a testimony to him and I don't think there are many artists that would be able to do that. It just goes to show that the old rockers really do still have 'it' and when you're standard is so high, not even Time can make you fade. Emily, if you're reading this, #yourewrong. 

So, on with the show.

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
Released : 1978
I used to think that this song was really quite positive when my Mum used to play it when I was little, but having listened to the lyrics, it's actually not. It's about dreams not turning out how you think they will and it's absolutely beautiful. If nothing else, the saxophone playing is incredible (where have all the good saxophone instrumentals gone?!) and it's just a song that I can - and do - listen to on repeat. Rafferty has a voice that is so soothing and you'll probably recognise him from Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the Middle with You. Clooowns to the left of my, Jooookers to the right, Here I am, Stuck in the middle with youuuu. Ring a bell? It should. Also, fun fact : Gerry Rafferty died on my birthday in 2011 (4th of January). RIP, buddy. 
Memory : This song will forever remind me of my Mum because she used to play it quite a lot when we were cleaning etc and I recently found a mixed CD she made me when I was younger that had it on which ignited my love for it. 
Favourite Lyrics :
You used to think that it was so easy, 
You used to say that it was so easy, 
But you're trying, 
You're trying now. 
Another year and then you'll be happy, 
Just one more year and then you'll be happy, 
But you're crying, 
You're crying now. 

Enola Gay - Orchestral Menouvers in the Dark
Released : 1980
The hook of this song is just amazing and probably my favourite part of it. The entire track oozes 80s with it's synth style and although I love the song, I find it even better when you realise that the it is based completely on history. Quick history lesson : Enola Gay was the name of the plane that dropped the atomic bomb (code name "Little Boy") on Japan in WW2, named after the Mother of the pilot, Paul Tibbets. The song also refers to the fact that it was detonated at 8.15am and I love that everything is brought into a song that is still so catchy even if you don't know the meaning behind it, if not a little weird. So well played OMD. Well played.
Memory : It actually reminds me of the TV series, Ashes to Ashes because that's were I really took note of it. (Alex switches on the radio in Genes office to cover the sound of their conversation about Mac. I mean... whut?)
Favourite Lyrics : 
Enola Gay, 
Is Mother proud of Little Boy today? 
This kiss you give, 
It's never ever gonna fade away.

Somewhere With You - Kenny Chesney  
Released : 2011 
A modern song?! Gasp! Have you ever heard of it? I'm thinking that the chances are slim to nothing. Why? Because it's country music...BARE WITH! 
I know that usually when people hear the words "country music" they instantly go "Errrrr. I'll take a raincheck. No thanks. Sorry, wrong number" but I actually really like country! Especially the modern country that is mixed with more electric guitar than steel guitar. This one is more "mainstream" than a lot of other country music and although Kenny Chesney has a voice that makes it so clear he is wearing a cowboy hat, I still find his voice really beautiful. The song is simply about a past relationship that has broken down and he can't move on because he's still hung up on the girl. It's an age-old tale of someone that hasn't moved on but the whole song has such a catchy tune and I have literally played this on repeat for weeks. 
Memory : I used to be in control of the music in my photography classes and I used to play this one quite a lot because hey, I was in control. Oh, the power!
Favourite lyrics : 
If you see me out on the town, 
And it looks like I'm burning it down,
You won't ask and I won't say, 
But in my heart I'm always somewhere with you. 


Soooo there we go. As I said before, this was going to be a five-song-parter thing but to be honest, it's taken so long! 

I hope you like the songs and are having a good year so far! 
:)
M x 







No comments:

Post a Comment