Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year, New Me.

One thing that really grinds my gears: people saying "New Year, New Me". 
There are a couple of reasons for this. For a start, how come someone seriously think that because the calender has flicked over to another year, they're going to mysteriously change into a better person, someone that they want to be. You can make as many new years resolutions. You can quit smoking, go to the gym, start a diet, become less sarcastic, stop biting your nails. Do what you want, but there is no way that a person is going to magically change so drastically that they will be a "new me". 
Also, if you know that there are things that you want to change about yourself, why do you need to wait until a new year to do so? It's not something I've ever really understood. Just bloody do it! Try and get over your ex now. Begin to get healthier now. Live for the moment and all that. 
But then again, I do actually quite like new years. Mainly because I love me a good firework display and there is no better display than the London new years one. I love watching it on TV and I would adore to actually be there (but that would involve waiting for bloody hours in the cold/rain/crowds so I think I'll actually stick to the TV). It also means that it's close to my birthday (4th of January. Don't forget :) ) and although it is literally the worst birthday you can ever have because a) everyone is broke b) everyone is hungover and c) everyone forgets, I quite like birthdays. Speaking of, here's a word of advice to all you people. If a friend - or anyone for that matter - has a birthday around christmas, don't get them a joint present. Seriously. The only exception if said joint present is larger than anything that you would expect for a single christmas or birthday, then don't bother. Because it's annoying. If I am going to go to the effort of buying you a birthday and christmas present, don't try to pass off a pair of socks as a 'joint' present. I don't know if it's just me who feels a piece of me die whenever I hear the words "I got you a joint present", but I'm pretty sure that it's not. Just because you're lucky enough to have a birthday not in December/early January, don't try and fob me off. I want presents!!! 
Is that bad? It feels bad. 
Anyhoo. I had a loooovely Christmas. The entire family was down and it was really nice to see everyone again. New Years was slightly less amazing, but still tip top! I hope that you all had a good'en and Santa was very kind! 
M x 

No comments:

Post a Comment