Sunday 20 January 2013

A Book is a Megans' Best Friend


"Books can be dangerous.  The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life.""  ~Helen Exley

The other night I went to a friends house and came back with a pile of books that I am absolutely dying to read. I honestly feel rich right now because I've not had a collection of books to read for a while and now I do and it's the best feeling in the world because there are a whole load of stories that I can be part of soon; worlds that I've yet to explore and people I've yet to meet. In short, I am one of those people that love books. 
Sweeney Todd The String of Pearls - James Malcolm Rymer
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
Selected Poems - Sylvia Plath
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
A Room with a View - E. M. Foster
Dracula - Bram Stoker

To me, there really is nothing like a good book. I was brought up surrounded by shelves and shelves and shelves of them and have an extensive collection myself. When you find someone that has similar tastes to you, it's an amazing thing because it not only means that you have something in common, but you can really find out something about them; your taste in books really does say a lot about you. What someone recommends can tell you not only about them, but can be a hint as to what kind of person they perceive you as and that's something I find really interesting.

Which leads me on to those people that don't read. Now, I don't have a problem with those people that genuinely don't like reading because they don't have time, don't like books, weren't brought up that way. Whatever. Whatever the reason said person doesn't like reading is down to them and their choice. I'm not going to bash them for that. Personally, I don't understand how they don't like books, but I'm sure that they don't understand how I do. I don't go on about it and neither do they. What really irks me, however, is when people make a point of not liking books and then go on to either boast to me that they "haven't read a book since I was 5" or "think they're all crap". No. You know what, if you're going to talk to me and expect me to be impressed that you have not read something since you were *blank* years old, then I really don't have much time for you. And I'm supposed to, what, admire you for that? Act as if you're the only person I've met that is ridiculously pleased with themselves for not reading? I don't sit here and think that I'm superior to you because I've never seen you pick up a book and I certainly don't think that reading is something to be super proud of. It's something I like doing and is pretty damn normal, as is not reading. You're not alone in not reading, you're not the first and you won't be the last. It's something that I just cannot get my head around. Okay, sure. You don't like reading? Fine. Cool. I don't like tomatoes. You think it's something that is unique and admirable to have not read a book in 10/20 years? Wowzer. Gold star to you and here's a medal to top it off.  You people aggravate me. 

Then there are those that slam other people for reading books. Being branded a "geek" or "loser" or "weirdo" for liking books is just... I don't even have words for it. Because really, what is your problem? I don't impose my "weird" ways on you. I don't force you to hear about the latest book that I'm reading or make you read it or even mention it. So when you see a book in my bag or see me reading, then why try and put me down because of it? What's your logic behind that? 
I know that it may seem I am slamming people that don't read and am therefore being quite hypocritical because I have then gone on to get annoyed at those who don't like the fact that I do read, but I'd like to point out that I really don't have a problem with people that don't read. It's their choice. My problem lies with those that a) think it's something to boast about to me and b) keep on and on at me that I'm a "geek" because I do read. Do excuse me for being who I am. 

Also, I'd like to make the brief point that if you're doing an English Literature course, it may help you to have actually read a book recently and to have a basic knowledge of authors and poets that are, you know, pretty famous. Oscar Wilde, for example. But don't get me wrong, I love my English class. I really do. 

So yes. I like book. Books are our friends. 

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man that can't read them" - Mark Twain

And in other news, I recently got a little bored, spied a pair of scissors and cut my own fringe. It's really annoying having to trim it every couple of days, but I quite like it. 
Before...

....After 

And then I discovered that I'm pretty bloody good at shadow puppets. This was a Llama. Ohhh yeah. 

M x 









No comments:

Post a Comment