Friday 24 May 2013

I Should be Fired.


Just a quick update on the disaster that is... my life.

This week I started a new job. Since I've finished school and am in desperate need of some moneys, I got myself another little job working in a fish and chip shop not too far from me. I swore to myself that I would never work in a chip shop. Snobby? Mayhap. But I really didn't fancy the whole greasy hair/skin situation and stinking of chips and oil. That is no way to attract a life mate. But I have a lot of friends that work in this place and I have two close friends that work there and actually own a flat above it so I have somewhere to spend my breaks. I have plenty of hours there and it's convenient. I'm not in the actual frying part of the shop, more a separate section waitressing so it's not all bad. So here we are. Megan works in a chip shop as well as waitressing in the restaurant that I've worked in since I was 14. Hello Miss Moneybags. The fact that I will probably spend all money that I get the minute I get it is neither here nor there. 


I've finished 5 shifts at Frydays now and holey moley. I am absolutely stunned that I haven't been fired yet. I would have sacked me. Really. I consider myself to be reasonably clever. I can hold an intelligent conversation and I'm not exactly stupid, but anyone that has met me this last week must think that I am the doziest mare around. I've spilt jugs of milk. I've dropped plates of food on floor successfully smashing the plate. I've set three alarms that didn't go off so turned up 2 hours late for work. I've brought drinks to the wrong table. I've rung wrong orders through,  I've filled the salt pots with sugar. I mean, really. I am yet to complete a shift without making a ridiculous mistake that a 19 year old really shouldn't make. I have a feeling that the woman who is in charge is complaining about me to anyone that will listen and I, in all honestly wouldn't blame her. I have been awful. Although I have provided great amusement to my friends that work with me and made them all look like the very best of workers. Fantastic. 

I'm hoping that it's just been a bad week and I get better soon. It would be nice to prove that I'm not a complete clutz. I think that I'm just going to have to concentrate on every tiny movement I make which I've been trying to do but... I don't know. Things can only get better. 

I really enjoy working there so I hope they don't fire me before I get the hang of it! I don't want to hang up my apron and cap (yes, I have to wear a cap. Boo) yet! 

Oh. And there is a set of stairs that I have to walk up and down to collect each order. I am honestly waiting for the day that I fall down/up them. We all know it's coming. 


But at least it's the weekend now! I'm working tomorrow during the day at Frydays and then the evening at my other job. And then? Well. 


Yup. Although it's not good to drink your problems away, that is exactly what I intend to go. Vodka, come at me. Here's to a better week. Cheers. 

M x 

1 comment: