Friday 22 February 2013

Megan speaks of God.


This is a post that I've been thinking about doing this post for a while now and have been putting it off because I, personally, don't think I have the right to judge anybody on their beliefs, religious or otherwise. 
Now, I have never really been too sure what it is that I believe in terms of God. I can't say that I'm a strict Christian and there are aspects of every religion that I don't agree with. However, I do think that there is something more. It's only in the last few years that I've really started to sort my head out when it comes to, well, what I believe, but I've never been able to actually put it into words and I'm not going to really try now. It's come to the point where when people ask me, I just say something along the lines of "I believe what I believe" and leave it at that.
My mum is religious, but she has never really spoken to me about what she truly believes in. But I know that she thinks there is a God and that there is something after life. And I respect her for that. 

Because I have been brought up to never disrespect someone for what they believe in. 

Which brings me to the point of this post.

I am a keen twitter-er (?) and quite the fan of Stephen Fry. He is a man that is beyond merely "clever" and a national treasure, there is no denying it. With over 5 million followers, his tweets are read by millions. Literally. So when he tweeted the following, I didn't find it particularly funny.

You’ve had 4000 years of gods. If you still want an invisible friend now, fine. Just leave the rest of us out of it. Thank you and enjoy…

I knew that Fry was an atheist and really, whatever. As I've said before, who am I to judge people on what it is that they want to think. But the fact that he, as a very public figure, feels that it's okay to call something that a lot of people very strongly believe in and follow as a guide through their life an "invisible friend"... I just don't get it. From a very black/white point of view, yes. God is an "invisible friend" in the way that He can't be seen and there is no "proof", but that doesn't dismiss the fact that to millions of people - some of which are sure to be following Stephen on twitter - their "invisible friend" is not a childhood fantasy to keep them company when they're tired of playing with their toys. 

Which leads me onto the everyday people that I come across. As I'm still in school/college/sixth form, whatever you want to call it, I don't come across many people that are religious. There's a girl I know that is Mormon, but other than that, I can't place anybody that I know "believes" - not that that means they don't. But the amount of times that I have heard groups of people sit together and slam God, religion and everything to do with it are countless. Now, I don't have a problem with people being atheist. I really don't. But you never know what someone believes and so to sit there and, at the top of your voice, dismiss thousands and thousands of years of peoples beliefs is, in my eyes, pretty damn small minded. As I've said, I believe what I believe and I think that I've taken aspects of religions and science and me to form what I think. When I hear said conversations, I'm not offended enough to get angry or to start arguments. In fact, it's not often that I even say anything about it, but I can imagine that those that are strong believers find it highly awkward, especially if they're sat in that conversation. 

My mum has always told me that she doesn't mind what I believe in - it's not her choice - but she has always been quite offended when my brother has done exactly what I have described above and slated all things God. Our grandparents on our dads side were Irish and very religious so she doesn't like to hear him going off on one about it, not only for her sake but for theirs. He's not only dismissing God (I'll say it again - up to him) but what his blood believed, trusted and put faith in. 

I don't know. This may be is a completely pointless blog post that I'm pretty sure everyone that reads it will disagree with, but it's my thoughts and my blog so, hey who. 

To summarise, if you're one of those that don't give a damn about religion and don't mind sitting and loudly slating what others - who knows, maybe even the person you've started talking to - believes in, that's fine. J
ust think for a second. Maybe keep your opinions to yourself. 

M x

1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to comment regarding religion, we'd be here forever and get nowhere. However, regarding the fry tweet "leave the rest of us out of it" is the best thing that can be done.
    In 90% of cases, personal religious beliefs harm no one and offer comfort to the person holding the belief. Organised religion is where the fan gets hit, organised religion is what creates groups like Al-Qaeda and the Westboro baptists. Not letting yourself leave the rest of out of it causes people to hate, even to the point of killing.
    People can believe what they like if it improves them as a person and I'm sure it's this way for your family, but the moment that belief causes them to treat other people worse than they would otherwise you have to ask, is it a belief worth holding?

    ReplyDelete